4.21.15 - Picket Against the Increasing Punishment and Prosecution of Women for Our Ability to Get Pregnant
- Category: Gainesville Women's Liberation (GWL)
Join National Women's Liberation and Gainesville Area NOW to picket against the increasing punishment and prosecution of women by politicians, our police, and court system who are supposed to work for all the people.
When: Tues., April 21 @ 5pm (will go to 6:30pm)
Where: SW Corner of Univ. Ave and 13th St.
We will make signs before the picket on April 21
@ Wild Iris, 22 E 5th Ave from 2:30-4:30pm
And save the date for our follow-up meeting:
Thursday, May 7th, 2015 @ 6:30-7:30pm
National Women’s Liberation Strategy Meeting
@ 14 E Univ. Ave (by the University Club, downtown)
Women Should Not Be Punished, Arrested and Prosecuted for Our Ability to Get Pregnant - This is Happening in the U.S.
2015 - Purvi Patel was sentenced to 41 years in prison formiscarrying a fetus
2014 - Jennifer Whalen was sentenced to 18 months in prison forordering her daughter drugs that could induce an abortion
2012 - Jennie Linn McCormack was arrested for a self-inducedabortion
2011 - Bei Bei Shuai was charged with murder and was jailed for435 days for attempting suicide while pregnant
2010 - Christine Taylor was arrested for falling down the stairswhile pregnant
2009 - Samantha Burton was held against her will in a hospitalby court order in the alleged interest of fetal viability
• Abortion is legal. It should available to ALL without restrictions.
• Women should have the right to make our own medical decisions – even when we’re pregnant.
• Women should control when and if we have children – and society should support us for either decision.
• Self-Determination includes safe and legal abortions, as well as access to birth control, prenatal care, and child care (regardless of ability to pay) and paid parental leave. No woman should be forced into sterilization, as it is her choice if or when she will have a child.
• We need an organized, strong feminist movement to make demands and keep up the pressure to end the assault on abortion, birth control and health care- and win gains.