- Category: Gainesville Women's Liberation (GWL)
National Women’s Liberation will be showing the documentary "She's Beautiful When She's Angry" on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. at the Wooly, which is located at 20 North Main Street in downtown Gainesville. The film will be followed by a panel discussion featuring:
- Kathie Sarachild, Redstockings of the Women's Liberation Movement
- Zoharah Simmons, Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) project leader during Mississippi Freedom Summer, 1964
- Kendra Vincent, National Women's Liberation Gainesville Chapter chair
- Whitney Mutch, Gainesville Area NOW
"She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry" resurrects the buried history of the outrageous, often brilliant women who founded the modern women’s movement from 1966 to 1971. The film, directed by Mary Dore, takes us from the founding of NOW, with ladies in hats and gloves, to the emergence of more radical factions of women’s liberation; from intellectuals like Kate Millett to the street theatrics of WITCH (Women’s International Conspiracy from Hell!). It does not shy away from controversies over race, sexual preference and leadership that arose in the women’s movement, and brilliantly captures the spirit of the time—thrilling, scandalous, and often hilarious.